HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet JUMP Distance for My RAR Predator Loads
Old 08-19-2017, 08:13 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

Well, you went the expensive route to solve a problem that can be easily solved with 4 very cheap things. 1: Empty unprimed case. 2: Bullet of choice. 3: A sharpie or any wet felt tip marker. 4: Good set of calipers. You can easily find the seating depth where you are in contact with the lands doing it that way. You can then go from there to find how much or how little jump your particular rifle likes. I personally use an almost identical load that Mr.Bronkoski uses, 41.5gr IMR4350 with 100gr Interlocks, in my .243 but that particular rifle likes the bullet to be right at .010 off the lands. And after approximately 2500 rounds sent through that barrel, I have near 0 throat erosion. One of the major causes of throat erosion isn't hot loads, it's people shooting way to fast and getting that barrel cooking eggs hot. Especially with low recoiling rifles such as the little .243. Heat is your enemy with any rifle.