HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rock Removal Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 02:59 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

can you rent a rock bucket with teeth for your tractor?
like one of these?

http://www.spartanequipment.com/prod...ith-Teeth.html
t hat would be the way to go, and maybe get a SMALLER than normal sized bucket too, so you can scoop, load and carry, fill, then dump, without going over limits on things, and you won't be moving top soil as much

NOW if your in farm country, you MIGHT be able to find a actual rock picker, they get towed behind your tractor and fill a tray like, and once a certain weight of rocks is there they dump a pile , into a pile, which you can then scoop up with your bucket and move

a landscape rake alone I think would work better than a box blade/scraper, that will move too much top soil and cover rocks on you

issue is, though, most are not that durable and big rocks you might damage it, and end up paying for that

ideally you'd want to run a dozer with a rake
, and then clean afterwards!

rocks will be an issue for a few yrs if you get freezing temps there, as once you disrupt things and water gets in and it freezes thaws, more will get pushed up

been an issue for me in one plot(3 acres) I have picked about 500 ton, and thats NO lie, of rocks out of it the past 20 yrs, and have many there larger than a full sized pick up ruck, that ain't going any where, hit them with a D 6 dozer and they don't even twitch LOL

but again, a rock bucket I think is your best tool, and sadly, a lot of bending over and picking them up
got a football team near by ?? maybe you can try and sucker the team there for a work out, with some free hot dogs burgers and what not's??
LOL

as for needing lime, that I figured was a giving LOL
just know its going to take a bunch of time for it to work and all the more so if you cannot disc/mix it in good!
some times you better off planting an annual plot till PH gets to where it needs
clover seed ain't cheap, so, your not going to get a great take on clover in low PH.
I'd plant a turnip, oats, or the likes for a fall plot, then come back in spring time and re lime again(odds are it will need it still)
and then maybe do a spring clover plot if you wish>?