HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 50 Caliber 475g, 0.21" HP
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 10:18 AM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default Ditched the Wool Wad

The morning of the test it was raining so i didn't try to clock the speed of the bullet. Yesterday it was nice, so i set up the clock, and shot through it, with the intention of learning the speed of the bullet with the 57g powder charge at 25 yard. Speed results seemed slow, so i shot the bullet using a 50g powder charge. Speeds were 100 fps slower than they were the first time i checked speed, when the bullet only a 1/8" hollow point. This was quite a shock, and i certainly wondered what the heck was happening????. Well, i was using a wool wad, because i had used all of the wads 52Bore sent with the bullet initially. So..............i thought maybe the wool wad was the problem.

The wool wad was the problem

Looking around the shop there, i found these pink chingadero with some bullets someone had sent quite awhile ago. Using the pink thingy as a wad, the bullet clocked 973 fps this morning with a load of 50g Blackhorn. The bullet with the 0.21" hollow point was once again shot into the trap using 50g Blackhorn; using the pink chingadero as the wad.

At impact, i saw the carpet/plywood fly high into the air. Wow!!! The bullet blew up the two first jugs pretty good. Holed the next three jugs, and bounced off the sixth jug, leaving it with it's neck bent all funny. It took a long long time to find the bullet. Without the metal detector it would have been impossible, because it bounced maybe 15' away from the last jug, and ended up in some thick brush. Couldn't find the plywood, until i started carrying the 'damage' back to the truck, and stumbled on it maybe 35' a way out front of the jugs.

__