HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How Fast Should I Go?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

Default How Fast Should I Go?

About two (could it be three?) years ago I bought a 13/16" .40 caliber Green Mountain barrel with the intention of putting together a simple iron mounted "Southern Style" long rifle for plinking and target shooting.

Well, that barrel is still sitting in the closet untouched. I never got up the enthusiasm for the build. I think it was the realization that a .40 caliber is not something I would use much when my .54's and .58's are so much fun to shoot.

But (big BUT) I do love those heavy lead .45 caliber conicals that Ed Mehlig produces. And I would be mighty pleased to have a trim little long rifle that shoots them well.

So it hit me this morning when I was once again moving that .40 caliber barrel out of the way to get to something else . . . "why not have it rebored for those big conicals?"

Those pure soft lead bullets from Ed are actually .452 according to my micrometer. So I want the bore diameter to be .452 for a slip fit.

But what about groove depth. I don't want deep grooves as would be appropriate for patched ball shooting - but how deep for a soft lead conical?

And rate of twist??? My 1:30" GM/LRH hunter barrel shoots Ed's bullets well. But what would be optimum? 1:28"? 1:26"? 1:24"? 1:20"?

What say you? All input is welcome.

Last edited by Semisane; 08-14-2017 at 03:57 PM.