HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - need more knock down
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 AM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well to get back to the original topic of KNOCK DOWN power ,I am inclined to doubt that there is any such thing.
There is FPS of energy, and brain and spine hits that kill instantly, there is also hydrostatic shock and when the mushrooming bullet is placed on the group of arteries over the top of the heart but very close to it or on the carotid artery in the neck, you can get an instant kill, especially if the game has not been startled.
I realize that I have opened a can of worms, but this is a subject that could use a bit of discussion and it is in line with the original topic.
I think there are a lot of hunters that rather they want to believe it or not, admit it or not, rush shots at game. One thing for pretty much certain, proper shot placement will put meat on the table. Game can do some pretty questionable things when struck with a bullet, and after decades of putting meat on the table, nothing surprises me any more.
One that still makes me think today, was one I had a pass thru on, taking out the entire top of the heart, yet that whitetail still ran at minimum 100yds, running directly into a fence. The fence not only stopped the deer, but after it stretched, it threw the deer back 20yds. Laid there GYD.
Now I will say that there are good bullets, but there are also worthless bullets. There are good longer range bullets and good medium range bullets. Proper shot placement is the key, along with excellent penetration and consistent bullet performance.
Now there are some who don't like or care much for target shooting. This I will say, practice makes a great start. Confidence corrects mistakes. Practice + confidence = meat on the table.