HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Praise the 300 XTP
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 05:19 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by hunters_life
I've seen the results of those Lehigh bullets both from the old man and Alex both. The only smoker I own that will shoot a sabot is my Renegade and only XTP's will shoot worth a flip out of it.

I was going to say you should try some of those new Lehigh .451x230 grain bullets from your Rene.. In a note to Lehigh Dave when he started talking about building this bullet I asked about it possibly being able to shoot from a slow 1-48 twist and he in his positive nature indicated he felt that it could be done. He did and it does.

I gotta say I really do not shoot the older side-hammers like I use to. But every time I get one out I marvel at their appearance. I just like their lines - especially the Renegades - just plain shooters.

And this one certainly handled the new Lehigh copper good enough for me... even though it is only a 75 yard target and it was the very first time I shot the bullet.

I tried some of Alex's 220gr .458 CF's out of it. Not good results at all. The best group I got out of it was well over 3.5 inches with a 90 grain Swiss FFG load.

Awhile back Dave created a .458x220 grain Bloodline - I did out of curiosity try that through one of my Rene's and it did not go so good either.

Maybe those 230gr new ones you recommended will do better. I have dad's Thompson Center and that smokeless demon spawn as well but I'm just not that into inlines. They just don't twist my crank. I do have to admit that smokeless is fun to shoot and I will most definitely take it on an Elk hunt but my main focus is my smoke poles.

You would think... as much as I was into rifles and reloading I would jump all-over a smokeless ML - but for some reason I have just not gotten the urge at all. Probably because of the terrain I hunt in and my age and physical abilities - I really have no need for the extra range.