HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Year 2 food plot question
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

I'd start with a soil test there, it also looks like your pretty darn dry there, you can see the clover is doing best in the shades area,m that I gather is holding moisture better?

if soil PH isn;t right seeding will just be a waste of time and money
a soil test cost 10 bucks(biologic)

been planting food plots since 1988 , and been part time farming even longer!

cannot make anything grow if soil isn;t right, next will be weather, and from there, you at the mercy of sunlight(shade) and browsing from wildlife or the likes, too much browsing and your going to stress a plant out and it will die on you!

as for looking at plants and guessing what they need, its like looking at the sky and guessing what time it is
I don't mean to sound like an ass here saying this
but a plant can have all the right soil PH and look BAD off or?? from over browsing, too much or too little sun, being mowed too often or NOT at all, be an OLD crop(clover has a time life when its good to going south)
weather can again stress it, like can browsing
the SAME sign's you see from many things, so guessing, is all your doing
that 10 bucks on a soil test rules out ONE thing, NO guessing there, after that, its again back to guessing, but a much more educated guess when you can rule some things out, or things you can control, like mowing, seeing how much rain or not, or sunlight or not, and so on
to make the guess more accurate!

a small plot like your's can get over browsed real fast, and unless you fence it off and save it for hunting season, might not be much you can do to keep it at a prime, you can for sure give it the best chance again by giving it what you can
but its hard to hold small plots like that, due to things eating it all the time, things just get stressed out and not enough there to give plants a break from being eaten all the time

so that will be a problem for you I think?