HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scouting and Accessing Public Land
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 05:56 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
It's been so long since I deer hunted down in Texas with Dad that I don't even remember the law that you described in your post flags. I wonder if the reason behind that is because of so much of Texas being private land and that's one way the GWs can check a person when they hit a highway with their animal.
I asked a game warden why it is illegal to bone the meat and he said that people were taking deer and cutting them into chunks about 2 inches square and filling coolers with meat. The regular license in TX allows you to take 6 deer so if you had 2 or 3 coolers full of meat in 2 inch chunks how would you really know how many deer were in the coolers? So they came up with the quarter rule to easily tell how many deer there were during a field check.

They decided to require the heads because people were killing small bucks and claiming they were does. You can only take 2 bucks on a license in TX and for the most part one of the bucks will have to be a spike and the other needs an outside spread on 13 inches. This doesn't apply everywhere in the state but it does for a large part of it. They protect the young bucks because big bucks are big business down here. On the general license 4 of the deer have to be does or you can kill all does if you want. The head rule is kind of inconvenient for hunters like me that only want 2 does for meat but the law is the law.