HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm bored - anybody milling any more?
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm bored - anybody milling any more?

It's hotter than Hades out today, so I'm forgoing a range trip this afternoon, thought I'd ask a general question...

Does anybody else range with their reticles any more? I use an LRF 90% of the time, but I try to keep myself sharp on milling and "moa'ing" with the reticle, and I teach it to any of the field marksman rifle students I have (which isn't many).

We saw all of these drop compensating reticles get hot a few years back, and after cutting my teeth on ranging with mil-dots as a kid, I've largely been adverse to them. Between 10 and 20yrs ago, I was the odd-ball who wanted a mil-dot when everyone else around seemed to want simple plex reticles, then in the span of 5yrs ago and 10yrs ago, it seems like everybody was converting to drop compensating reticles... It does seem milling reticles are becoming more popular with the rise of PRS type LR and ELR shooting sports, but my old mil-dot scopes are still too "old school" for that crowd, since there are far better milling reticles on the market now than back then.

But I don't hear much about folks ranging with the reticles, just guys correcting from their impact splashes, or holding over.

Anybody else still reading reticles?