HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 19th century brass rangefinder
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 10:21 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

These are fun novelties, but they aren't accurate enough at long enough ranges for them to be used for centerfire rifles. As an example, I ran a practice ballistic problem for a rifle student recently - teaching the use of a milling reticle, which is all we're really talking about here. In the problem, we read 1.3 mils from the scope, corrected for magnification it was .866666 true mils. It yielded 320yrds. However, the LRF spotted it at 325. So back calculating, the reading should have been 1.28mils... When 0.02mils means a 5 yrd difference at only 325yrds, how accurately do you think you can bracket your 6ft tall person with no magnification?

Consider this - 1 mil is 3.6" at 100yrds, so if you can't accurately place the bracket around a 6.0ft reference at 100yrds, missing only by 3.6", you'll be wrong by a full milliradian. Wanna think about how much error that would be on the face of your little brass bauble? I know my rear sight on my revolvers is 22" from my eye, so let's assume my string would be 22" long. 1 mil at 22" is only 22 thousandths of an inch. For perspective, that is only 4-5 times thicker than a human hair.

And of course, can you tell if your field reference object is 6.0ft tall? What if it is only 5'9", can you tell at 100yrds? At 300yrds? Being off by 3" is almost a full mil at 100yrds, it's about 1/3mil at 300. But can you tell the difference in a 5'6" object and a 6'6" object at 300yrds?

Remember - I was off by 5yrds at 325 because my reticle reading was off by 0.02mils. If your slide guide were off by two thicknesses of a human hair, you'd be off by 1/3 of a mil. That's about 82yrds of error... Out of 325... Remember, that's about the same as PERFECTLY bracketing a target you thought was 6.0ft, but was really 5'9", OR the same as mis-bracketing a 6.0' object by about 3"... What happens if you incorrectly bracket a wrong size target, and now you're off by a full mil?

If you can hold up a bundle of human hairs at arms length and count them quickly and correctly, maybe this is the tool for you. I need to get closer than arms length to read 8ths of an inch on a tape measure, and have to get pretty close to be able to resolve 1/16th inch marks...

So what's the point? I can do better eyeballing and guessing range than being off by 82yrds at 325yrds...

And of course, what are you shooting? All of the above proves you have to be very close, and very lucky to be able to range even remotely accurately with it - but inside of 300yrds, I'm barely holding over anything at all for centerfire rounds. A few minutes of hold over at most. So the tool isn't really necessary at the range it is ALMOST accurate enough to be useful, and at longer ranges where a rangefinder is needed, this thing isn't accurate enough to be useful any more...

So whatcha really got there? Looks like a brass paperweight on a string to me...

Last edited by Nomercy448; 08-01-2017 at 07:59 PM.