HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - why hasn't all Pa gone shotgun only
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 08:59 AM
Pro-Line
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why hasn't all Pa gone shotgun only

Gar,

How does a weapon dictate deer size? I understand that the shotgun is far inferior to a rifle, and the kill will be lower. (But not by that much IMO)

How in the world to they have big deer in Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, South Dakota, etc? They use rifles??? (I know, I know...they don't have a million hunters) IT'S AGRICULTURE and genetics. However, if you have deer growing larger due to food sources...the genetics will work out.

Ohio doesn't have a shotgun season for management. It's out of necessity. The southeastern portion of the state is hilly, and could probably support a rifle season. However, the other 60%+ of the state is flatter than a pancake...thus making a rifle unsafe.

I'll agree that in the populated areas shotgun seasons will succeed. I don't ever see the deer getting as big as Ohio deer, though. Maybe in certain areas, but not all over.

I'm sticking with my first statement...I think the gun hunters will be unhappy with a shotgun season.

What deer need to get big is food, genetics and a place to hide where they can grow old. Maybe PA needs to close off some small areas during gun season for "safety areas". That was some bucks may survive and grow older.
In Ohio there are tons of tree huggers that don't allow hunting. This is bad as far as hunting goes, but it lets the deer grow old. JHMH