HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Would like some feedback
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

OK Joe, first off, the average deer does NOT weight 300 lbs, someone is fibbing you there , average deer MIGHT be 150 lbs, remove guyts and such, and there even lighter
LARGER muledeer bucks can sure PUSH 300 lbs but that ain't the norm, even farm land deerWhitetail/muledeer, struggle to hit 300 lbs there NOT common

NOW< maybe I mis understood your trailer design too, I was thinking you were talking about a more traditional TOY hauler, one that has half living quarters and half room for an ATV or UTV
I am now thinking your more or less talking about a trailer you TOW behind your atv/utv?
am I right here>
if you, your missing the boat on NOT using aluminum on the frame, saves weight and doesn't rust! IMO
I have many trailers of all types, and my aluminum trailers are way longer life'd by far.

NOW I know many places out west where you can ride atv/utv to hunt, BUT most all places have limits on where you can go and drive, they also have limits on where you can camp and or not, its not a free for all any more in more places than you think, rules are every where!
there are also width requirements on what can and cannot drive on certain roads

NOW< in an off road trailer, ground clearance is a HUGE issue, articulating twin axles can make life a LOT better when towing off road!
over one single axle, as will wider higher flotation tires!
center of gravity on all things needs to be taken into thought here too, as atv's utv's tow over very uneven ground
NEXT will be MOST all average sized atv's have a MAX weight of about 1,000 lbs of towing and braking ability, so a trailer has to be light enough to allow lots of room to ADD weight to it, add that 300 lb animal,(or up to about a 600-800 lb elk or moose) plus hunting gear
and you start to see why NOT a lot of guys tow off road

MOST guys that hunt the west, PACK there game out in quarters on there backs, or use horse's ,as horse's have lesser restrictions on where they can travel, and just can get places UTV's cannot!
the same quartering of game, very few guys, SHOOT a game animal, and leave it till next day, not in places where lions and bears are, or they stand to loose what they worked for, and paid for that costly tag!(some hunters pay tens of thousands of dollars for certain draw tags)
they will camp NEAR it, and ruff it thru the night, OR carry what they can, and get back ASAP, few GO home, it just doesn't happen that much unless they live VERY close by
there are game laws that MAKE you have to remove animal ASAP< and NOT waste it.

SO< the market for folks, HUNTERS, to use a a off road trailer, honestly are not that high

if you look at ALaskan hunters, you will find a TON of custom built trailers for just this stuff, they have some wild designs, might be worth looking into before you get rolling here!

I have friends that live in AZ< NV MT WY, ID and CO, all hunters and ATV'UTV owners too
I have hunted out there countless times myself

to be honest I don;t think the market is all that big
YES some will and do hunt this way, but IMO< its NOT the norm
MAYBE in your area its more common, but in the bigger picture, of hunting the west and likes, its a small percentage from what all I have seen and done and know of?
Others might chime in here
but just being as honest with you here as I can be!
I been riding atv's and MX and street bikes and building and off roading in trucks and jeeps well over 30+ yrs
the percentage of guys I see towing a trailer off road is MAYBE 10% of the whole!

much more appeal in TOY haulers now, all the more so one's that fit BIGGER UTV"S
than trailer to tow behind them off road
UTV's are HUGE growing market right now, and NOT a lot of trailers out there fitting them , with lift kits and such which are very popular on them
most STOCK UTV"S are like 6 and half foot tall, and most all toy haulers are barely clearing them right now,
one's with 77+ ft drive in doors are few
could be a better market there for these than ??