HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nice Powerbelt load for the Accura...
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Slowburn
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Correct Ron. there are bullets for 223 that are intended for larger game. Some are even monolithic or partitions. Whether those two are really better by design alone im not sure but it would be prudent to find out vs using a fragile 55gr HP intended for varmints. That is why i included (varmint bullet) in my analogy. Its perfectly legal for me to use those here but i dont feel it is ethical.
I wasn't trying to start anything just curious. With smaller caliber rifles bullet placement is everything. Placement in any caliber rifle is king. I have seen plenty of deer taken with 50-55 gr bullets of various construction. A HP wouldn't be my first choice but I feel confident I could take deer with a 55 gr HP .223 consistently within my own limitations. I have also seen plenty of deer wounded with larger caliber rifles including the .338 WM and never recovered. Not every animal is impressed by any caliber rifle. The same is also true for muzzleloaders. What ever works for you is what you should use. I don't shoot PB's and I don't shoot 55 gr HP I think both will work fine the majority of the time. Personally I like heavy for caliber bullets in all my rifles that I know work all the time. It's hard to tell a feller his rifle caliber or load is inferior and expect him to like it. Forgive me for the ramblings.