HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting off sand bags
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I use my sling to reduce my bag jump on heavy hitting, light rifles. I put both elbows on the bench, with my stock cradled in the web of my off-hand thumb and index finger (which rest against my shoulder), pulling the sling down and back with the pinky and ring finger of that hand.

A rear bag also helps reduce that muzzle bounce, oddly enough. It gives a little support to stop the butt from dropping and guides the rifle back into your shoulder. When using a squeeze sock, I pull the sling up against the sock instead of my shoulder. Planting my off elbow out in front of me gives a lot of stability, plus a lot of tension against the sling.

I used to mess with resting my wrist on the bag, holding down on top of my forend, or holding down on top of my scope, but somewhere on 10-12yrs ago I started using the sling, and it's worked well for me.

One of the biggest advantages - I can use the same position no matter what rifle I'm shooting, or even my specialty handguns, and even translates down to prone. It does require a solid bench, of course, since I'm making so much body contact with the bench. My support structure for my frame and my rifle all stays the same whether I'm shooting free recoil, holding down the sling, preloading the bipod, using a squeeze bag, or not.

Kinda like giving myself a hug whenever I go shooting.