HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 454 Casull, big enough to stop a grizzley?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:58 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Personally if all I have is a pistol I'd want something with a reasonable follow up shot. It is bound to be a compromise between power and recoil. And what I was taught is two hits from a 9 MM dumps more energy into whatever you are shooting at and has more punch than one hit from a 44 magnum. Don't really know if it is fact or not, but the way I was taught, double tap.

Better yet is a long gun with a quick second shot. I feel comfortable with my slug gun, semi auto. Semi auto has less recoil, quicker second shot. If it isn't in my hands it is front slung, takes about the same time to get it into action as my pistol draw does. And I've picked off so many Jack Rabbits with it I'm likely to instinctively hit what I'm shooting at within reasonable distance. The pucker factor is going to be high, but muscle memory will likely see me through.

Searching for large wounded Hogs I use my slug gun with a bayonet. Ten inches of razor sharp knife may not stop one, but is likely to get it's attention. A slug torso hit will definitely get their attention.

I've never hunted Bear, but have had a 350+ size Hog come right at me. That hog covered, best estimate, a hundred feet in 2 seconds. I decided that night that a bolt action rifle wasn't my best option in a similar situation. Pistol was unlikely to hit at any distance and a second shot would be iffy. I'm a decent pistol shot, but rushing it, around 75 feet is my limit while retaining accuracy. Getting off a second shot with a large bore (magnum) pistol and theoretically that Bear or Hog can cover another 50-100 feet before you can fire again. A semi auto shotgun is a lot quicker follow up shot than a magnum pistol IMO.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 06-25-2017 at 06:24 AM.