HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Browning BLRs vs Savage 99s
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 03:23 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

Bocajnala, If you can find an original Savage 99 in 7mm08 at a decent price, you should jump as hard and fast as you can. Those things are as rare as hens teeth. Pretty much anyone that has one won't let it go for less than a small fortune. As to your question, the BLR's tend to be a bit more accurate because of the way they lock up. They are basically a bolt action operated by a lever. They just lock up a bit better. Now I am in no way stating that they are definitely more accurate. I have seen several 99's that will shoot the eye out of a needle, mine included, but for the most part the BLR's just have a slight edge in accuracy. But when you start comparing balance and feel, the 99 wins hands down in my opinion. The trigger on both are pretty sad but fairly easily fixed to break clean and smooth with a little work. Some don't mind the creepy trigger feel but unfortunately I inherited the need for a good trigger from my dad. I honestly don't think that man ever felt a factory trigger he found acceptable.