HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 454 Casull, big enough to stop a grizzley?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:36 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Even the FBI states that at only 21' a person (ref:Tueller Drill), being attacked by another would have difficulty removing a holstered firearm and getting off a shot. And a bear is a heck of a lot faster than a human.
The FBI Tests/Tuller/21ft rule didn't prove the shooter is unable to draw and fire, it proved that even when struck, the death doesn't happen fast enough to prevent mortal injury from the blade-wielding assailant. In other words, outside of 21ft, there's one dead person, inside of 21ft, there are two.

But that's not really applicable for bear attack defense - as that study was considering known potential threats, effectively from a cold start. A charging bear isn't a cold start - most often it's moving at high speed before the shooter even knows it's there, and of course, it IS faster than a human.

I can say, the 21ft rule is ABSOLUTEY IRRELEVANT for the overwhelming majority of our population. I do a drill in my defensive handgun courses in which I pick out one of the students which everyone recognizes as a bit more skilled with a handgun, AND a student who is admittedly brand spanking new. I use two blue (non-functional) guns, and have them demonstrate a dynamic draw, side by side, on the clock. Despite a considerable gap in shooting skill, I have yet to see a significant gap in shot time - both of which usually end up more than 2 seconds. We hear folks talk about 1-1.5second times to first shot, but outside of competitors, I have never found that to be realistic, even for officers. And that's coming from a ready signal where these shooters KNOW there is a beep coming and the next action they take is a draw stroke. That's NOT the same as a surprise stimulus where the shooter has to react to what might be a squirrel breaking a small limb out of a tree, or might be an 800lb sow bearing down on them.

I have every confidence a .454c will stop a bear as fast as anything out there, but I can also say, despite having what I expect is a much greater experience and skill in shooting heavy revolvers than the average handgunner, I don't expect to draw and drop a bear in one shot.

What I HAVE always wondered, after spending so many years of my life as a bull rider and bull fighter, why give the bear a static target? I was somewhat confirmed in this thinking after watching a video of instructor zero and Doug mercaida, testing the 21ft rule. Zero could easily put shots on Doug if he took an evasive move first instead of drawing to shoot. How do you avoid being hit by a train? Get the F out of the way. If you need to kill the train after you avoid death, then take the time to do so. So that's how I train with my bear defense revolver and rifle... I move first, then ready to shoot.