HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 454 Casull, big enough to stop a grizzley?
Old 05-13-2017, 12:36 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

I used to carry my 7 1/2" Ruger SBH .44 mag with me most of the time outside of work that I was in grizzly country. Most of the bears that I saw ran in the other direction as soon as they saw me.

The only one that didn't was one time two friends and I were hunting near West Yellowstone, MT. We were camped at the end of a forest service road, and we had two elk and a moose hanging in the stock rack in the back of my pickup.

One night, just before going to bed, I went outside to "water a bush" on the side of the road. When I got to the side of the road I was met by a Woof and the clicking of the teeth of a grizzly on top of the cut bank about 25 feet above me.

I had my .44 on my hip, so I drew it, and with a flashlight in my left hand, I fired one shot over the head of the bear. He didn't even blink, so I fired another shot into a pine tree next to him. Again, he just stood there clicking his teeth at me.

So I holstered my gun and I bent down and picked up a baseball size rock that I threw at and hit him. He then ran off into the darkness.

He was wearing a collar and ear tag, and we later found out that he had been a trouble bear near Cooke City where he had been trapped and then released in the area that we were hunting.

Last year, one of the guys that I used to work with was scouting for elk. He was carrying both his .44 revolver. He got attacked twice on one day by a grizzly.

Walking down a trail, he apparently got between a female grizzly and her cubs. He was able to get out his bear spray and spray her on the first attack. He then played dead and tried to protect his face when she attacked him. She then left him and followed her cubs into the forest.

Todd then was able to get up and continued down the trail to his pickup. Minutes later, a little farther down the trail, she attacked him again. This time he was out of bear spray and did not have enough time to get his gun out. She bit his arms, back, and head before she left him again.

Todd was then able to walk 3 miles down to his truck, make a video of himself, then drive himself to the hospital in Ennis where he underwent 8 hours of surgery.

Google "Todd Orr bear"