HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Leupold CDS for 444
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Talstar1234
I'm looking forward to trying the big-bores out. Besides my muzzle loader and 12ga slug gun I've never worried about the drop of the bullet to much. I alway sighted my 270 and 308 at a inch or 2 high at 100 yards and let them be. I did use the ACOG drop lines on my AR-15 to kill a deer at over 325 yards once and it was pretty spot on.
Another reason I like a variable scope is to see how big of a buck I'm shooting at. In Ohio I'm allowed 1 buck so I want to be sure he's a good one and at 200 yards a 9 power scope is a lot better than 4 power especially since my 47 year old eyes are not what they use to be
I fully agree with you, a vari powered scope can be a great tool, and help a hunter be able to make better calls on targets.
I even have vari powered scopes on Air rifles and 22's and the likes, the small amount of extra weight to me doesn't matter to me,since most of my deer hunting is from stands , I sit in for hours!

Well, unless I am out stalking things, or going up Mt's, and then I have light weight rifles for that stuff! and they have light weight vari powered scopes on them too LOL

MY eye's ain't sop great no more, I take help where I can find it!

hunted Ohio for almost 20 yrs, its a great state for BIG bucks
best of luck to you, and post what you end up with, both scope and buck wise this upcoming season!