HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CCW w/o Safety Will Kill You
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 02:41 PM
younggun308
Nontypical Buck

Default CCW w/o Safety Will Kill You

I figured I'd adopt a provocative title like uncleMatt did to spur discussion; not saying I agree with the title.

Just saw on Facebook today an acquaintance had to have 4 hours of surgery because his CCW inadvertently fired with he was carrying and driving.
A 9mm +P hollowpoint went through his knee and left hand as he pulled into a driveway. I figure the trigger must have gotten caught on some part of his clothing while we holstered IWB, and only toward the end of his drive got pulled the rest of the way.

Made me glad I 1) have a safety that's easy to switch off at the end of my draw, and that 2) I carry 5 o'clock, so at worst I'll get grazed where Forrest Gump did if anything goes awry while I'm driving.

I doubt there's any single thing that is the solution to preventing this sort of thing from happening, but there are several options. I just wonder which of them that guy will adopt from now on. Aside from what I mentioned above, I investing in holsters that cover the trigger area from both sides or carrying with the safety off but no round chambered (not something I'm comfortable doing) would have also worked.