HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fox den in my yard
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Even the ducks might come back....... However, the (residence) ducks will learn not to lay eggs there !
I don't know if I'm buying that or not. Been my experience Ducks (mostly Mallards) nest in the same spots for generations and many of their offspring will nest in the same area. I have no idea why, one stretch of Creek looks much the same as any other to me, Ducks just favor some spots over others. Even a clutch or a batch of Ducklings get eaten, the female will likely lay in the same nest again and try for a second clutch. I think when the Ducks stop showing up, it is because the generational cycle of using the same nesting areas has been interrupted, to many Ducks killed.

Fox will use the same dens for generations (even centuries) and they are often right next to, within 50-200 yards, of the favored nesting places for the Ducks.

I have no idea why the Ducks stay with the same spot and what kind of interaction the Fox and the Ducks have, besides the Fox eating them.

If your interested I will post up some pictures of favored nesting areas for Ducks and the location of Fox dens on my last lease. It isn't a one time occurrence it seems to be the norm.

Pretty much the same with the favored nesting spots for the Pheasant and some other ground nesting birds. And the favored spots for Rabbit warrens. The Fox have dens close by.

I spend a lot of time thinning out the Fox and catching as many large Pike as I can in the spring. Big Pike also eat a lot of Ducklings. I'm not even an avid Duck hunter, though I do hunt Duck on occasion, I just give them a leg up because I can. I also put out rafts, not to draw the Ducks, they are there anyway. But to give them a safe place to eat with little fear of ambush with their young.