HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkeys don't give a damn about my calls after flydown
Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 AM
entropy4money
Spike

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
This justs sounds like typical turkey hunting, some days it's a walk in the park, other days it's frustrating...if they are coming out to the field you are hunting in the AM, you have a great chance of killing one. I'd try putting some more hen decoys out, along with a strutting gobbler decoy, if you have one.

Another option, if possible, would be work your way through the woods as quietly as possible, and try getting in front of them, eventually they'll go back in the woods, and if you are set up in the right place, you may be able to ambush one. No, it's not as fun as calling in a gobbling bird, but it may help you fill a tag.
I think I will put more hens out. And yes, they are out and about all morning in the fields. I am not allowed to hunt PM. I am worried about using a strutting gobbler decoy, because the first day I went hunting, this guy set up in the other property, about 700 yards away from me had about 4 hens and a strutting gobbler. Turkeys were pretty close to him, but they wouldn't go there. It started raining hard, so he left. As soon as he left, the turkeys went right to his spot.... This was first day of the season, in priv. property. So I think they didn't like the gobbler decoy?