HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo Suggestion help
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

I was hunting hogs in February. I shot a boar that after the hunt weighed in at 163 lbs live weight. I shot him through the neck with a 325 grn 45-70 leverevolution round and he went right down and didn't move. I gave him 5 minutes and gathered up my gear, back pack etc and went down out of the stand to take pictures before the outfitter came to pick me and the hog up. I took one picture from the side and moved to the front, about 4 feet away, raised my camera and I saw the hog blink. About the time I said oh s--t to myself the hog was coming at me chomping his jaws and growling. My rifle was on my shoulder, I had my .40 S&W Kahr MK 40 on my right hip, I just drew and fired and dropped him at my feet. That handgun bullet was a Winchester SXT 165 grn HP and it killed that big hog grave yard dead. You don't need a bazooka to kill a hog, you just have to hit them in the right place. If you plan on shoulder shots, try to wait till they are quartering away and shoot for the crease behind the shoulder. It won't matter what caliber, it will kill that hog. If you chose your shot you don't have to worry about the shield. I normally go for head or neck shots and that usually kills them where they stand. This was the first time a neck shot didn't do that. I would never use a FMJ because they go right through the hog and do not dump their energy, I want a bullet that expands a whole lot. It sounds to me like someone has been giving you a load of crap about killing hogs.