HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo Suggestion help
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:37 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Just opinion, but penetration isn't the answer with a pistol or a medium velocity rifle. IMO in a pistol you want something that expands fast, dumps all of it's energy quickly and leaves a large wound. Basically, using a analogy, poke them with an ice pick or hit them with a baseball bat.

I use 200 grain silver tips in my 44 special. Used to use semi jacketed round nose. Your 10 has 20-30% more velocity than my .44 does.

Hogs often don't react to shock like Deer do. A Silver tip and they know they've been shot and hurt. The down side is it does tear up a lot of meat.

Word of advice, I wouldn't try shooting a decent sized Hog "once" with a pistol and stop to see what happens, two hits is better, three solid hits ought to dissuade that hog from traveling in the direction it was headed.

Sometimes you get lucky and they drop in a pile, most times they fall within 40 yards, sometimes they die really hard and once in a great while they will come after you especially if they are wounded.

My opinion is big bleeding holes works better on Hogs than penetration does and bullets that go all the way through are wasting a lot of energy.