HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Revolvers will get you killed
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2017, 11:13 AM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

First off, I think this is a great topic to discuss.

I don't agree with the premise on the title (revolvers will get you killed) but that appears to have been used to draw interest, not as an actual position or opinion. In fact, the author came to an opposite conclusion that revolvers won't get you killed if "head space and timing" are correct (you keep your cool and think your way through the incident).

I'd agree that this sample set is small at 7 but the FBI publishes statistics of shootings every year and combined over several years or decades, one can get a pretty accurate picture of what to expect in a average shooting situation. IIRC, most shootings happen at 7 yards or less with just a handful of rounds fired. A person with a revolver would not be under-gunned in such a situation at all.

I realize that revolvers aren't the weapon of choice for people concerned about finding themselves in the middle of a zombie apocalypse or some type of robbery/assault with long guns or shotguns but one of those exists only in fantasy and the other is extremely rare. Let's face it, if you find yourself in some robbery/assault where the bad guys are using long guns, you're going to want to find cover quickly and ride out the storm, hopefully overlooked but with the means to still defend yourself at close range if the bad guys are looking for you.

I will readily concede that I have carried semi-autos for my LEO career (pretty much mandated & required) and for most of my off-duty carry as well. I have used a revolver as a backup for duty at times and occasionally for off-duty CCW. I never felt under-gunned in either case. For most of my CCW needs while off-duty, I find that different semi-autos work the best for me (lots of muscle memory from duty training). However, YMMV and I would never criticize a person for choosing a revolver or think they were somehow under-gunned.