HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - #21 comes out of the closet
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion/experience, the only critter that is worse tasting than a big necked Mule Deer buck, is rattlesnake. Cooking the buck smells up the house, and eating the buck is awful. To me, doe Mule Deer tastes like a Whitetail doe, and is better because there is more of it.

Our son likes antelope better than any elk, or deer any day. His mother likes antelope better than any elk or deer. Me, i do like eating antelope. The thing i like best about antelope is one can hunt for, kill a trophy, then eat it. Trophy bulls are tough, trophy bucks taste gamey. Trophy antelope is tender, and tasty.

Hunting for a big antelope buck is great fun. Spotting them from a mile away, or more, and stalking them through ravines, around knobs, along ridges, and finishing with a crawl through cactus, is quite a test. Some stalks find the goats long gone, others reveal one went the wrong direction, and over the wrong ridge. For us, if one is fortunate to get a shot, and make the kill, one ends up with good edible meat for the freezer, and that is the best part of antelope hunting.