HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Old Omega
Thread: New Old Omega
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

Default New Old Omega

The seller described it as being used, but in excellent condition. It doesn't seem it was ever fired. The packing grease in the barrel was hardened, and kinda difficult to remove. The breech plug surprised me, because it had a flat face without a chamber for the powder; i had never seen one like it. The firing pin is in the old style block The paint on the ram rod was without scratches. Yesterday a 2x - 7x scope was mounted, and the breech plug, and ramrod replaced, with used versions. After a few shots the rifle was about sighted in.

This morning, shooting commenced with a clean cold barrel; target was at 100 yard. The load was 60 (weighed) grain Blackhorn, 300g XTP, black crush rib sabot, W209 primer. The first four shots made 4 holes some left. The fifth shot didn't leave a hole. So i assumed it went close to one of the first four holes; that was OK i figured--kinda neat actually. The sixth shot didn't leave a hole; i panicked, and was much disappointed. Ever once in a while one sees two shots in the same hole, but i knew it couldn't happen twice in a row; i walked out to the target, and still couldn't see the last two shots; i figured something was haywire.

The target was photographed, then taped, and i walked back to the rifle with dread; knowing something was not good. Then three shots were made at the taped target; what a pleasant surprise. All three shots made holes in the tape.