HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Leupold CDS for 444
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Talstar1234
I've got a Marlin 444 that I'm going to be using for deer in Ohio. What Leupold scope model that has the dial should I get?
It is more common than not that people respond to questions posted here to offer personal insight and opinions when answerering questions.

For you situation I am including a link to the Leopold site where there are 2 videos that will clearly explain what CDS is and how to install it. There is also all the information you could want about the system at that link.

I see that the 260-grain .444 rises 2" above line of sight just before 100 yards and drops to 6" below line of sight at 200 yards. I'm sure that CDS could be provided for that as the CDS are made specifically for each round.

Now for my personal opinion. I see the .444 as a 200 yard deer gun. Many times when deer hunting every second counts. Personally, I would not want to be wasting any time clicking a dial when I have a shot opportunity at an animal I wish to harvest. There are several fixed power scopes (say 4X) that have reticles that represent X inches at X yards that allow you to compensate for shot distance by where you place the reticle.

https://www.leupold.com/resources/custom-dial-system/