HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Leupold CDS for 444
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 06:19 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
MR.BB, Hunting is not target shooting. There are fewer variables in target shooting. Like the animal moving, or a twig that you can't/don't see. Excitement of seeing an animal. Fixed target matches, have no such variables.

Now, if you make the argument that its not about need, but just about desire. Then you have a dog that will hunt.

Heck, I have a tack driving .243 bolt. It will out shoot me, in better hands. But I don't need or want a varmint scope on it with multiple turrets and technology that I don't even know how to use. But with a simple fixed power scope. Its a perfectly serviceable firearm.
Because it does just what I want and need it to do. Kill Deer. Just like my 7mm Mag does.
I am a LONG time hunter, so I know the things that happen while hunting just fine(and NO bad intentions here)
but you are WRONG, there are many variables in target shooting, that can make HUGE differences
like WIND gusts for a a HUGE one!
as don't forget when your in matches, its the SMALL things that matter

as it is in hunting at times, BOTH have there elements of things that can happen, excitement is in both,
IF you tree stand hunt, you can KNOW yardages just like in targets

as I said, with ANY modern centerfire rifle , with the logic, of , being in the KILL zone at 0-200 yards, if we all stuck to this, there would never be any advancement in tools, as WHY would we need them?/
tools like the range dial on a scope is just that an added tool to HELP , you may never need it, or want it
BUT there is NO reason to tell a fellow hunter he doesn't need it too, as again, like you said, MAYBE he just WANTS IT, and with that, he asked for info on what scopes he can get it in, NOT if he needed it or not NO??? LOL
as I said, I mean NO dis respect here to anyone

I was just saying there are folks that WISH to push the limits of the calibers they shoot, I am NOT saying its GOOD to do or not, its just a fact some folks do this, SO< for them, more tools can ONLY I HOPE mean less lost game!

I was part of a several yr video series on long range hunting, SO I know for a FACT there are MANY guys that hunt LONG range, and plenty of time to range and dope a scope in the field hunting.
I DON"T hunt long range anymore, I don't find it to be HUNTING< by MY definition, its just more of a shooting game, so I don't do it anymore, MY choice and I don't bash others that still wish to do it!
BUT I can offer advice and suggestions ,a s I had YRS and yrs in that type of hunting!
and just saying, NOT bragging by any means!

Last edited by mrbb; 04-16-2017 at 06:23 PM.