HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cheek rests
Thread: Cheek rests
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't make any sense to me to own a rifle and tolerate poor fit, whether it's length of pull, grip angle, trigger reach, cast, drop, or pitch. My stock should fit me, your stock should fit you. If you pick up your rifle, slam your face into a comfortable cheekweld with your eyes closed, when you open your eyes, your eye should be centered in the optic or in the sights. If it doesn't, the stock is wrong, and it should be modified.

For comb height, since different shooters may use the rifle, or the same shooter might use the rifle with iron sights, or with a low mounted scope, or with a larger objective, higher mounted scope, it typically makes sense to NOT buy a stock with a super high comb, limiting yourself to that ONE tall height. It's easy to build up a comb with temporary/non-permanent devices to make it taller, but impossible to temporarily shave wood/plastic/fiberglass from a comb to lower it.

I have cheek risers in one form or another on many of my rifles, and there are lots of options for how to accomplish this. Currently, I have:
  • Stocks with built-in adjustable combs (think McMillan A5, Luth-AR, etc)
  • Adjustable Kydex "saddle types" which bolt over the top of the factory comb (think M4A2)
  • Stocks with variable alignment plates for drop & cast (Benelli Comfortech)
  • Stocks with factory design incorporating interchangeable combs of different heights (Benelli Comfortech & Ruger American style)
  • Delrin fixed height risers which screw to the top of the comb (think Dragunov)
  • Stock Pack and stock wrap types with inserts which wrap around the stock and offer means to elevate the comb (Hornady makes a nice stock pack)
  • Cheap allen elastic cartridge carriers with foam rubber riser inserts