HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off Topic: Something Stinks at Scent-Lock
Old 04-10-2017, 11:56 AM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

You all asked that I participate so here I am throwing my hat in the ring. As oldtimr stated, nothing will totally eradicate human scent. My dad started out hunting before there was even such a thing as camouflage clothing available to the hunters. There really wasn't all that much available 47 years ago when he started me out at the ripe old age of 3. Later on in life, he and all of his kids have pretty large assortments of camouflage but in all reality, I don't really think it makes that much of a difference. Most of us now use something similar to ghillie suits. Light bug net with stuff sewn into them to look like leaves. As far as scent control, dad and all of us always got a pretty good laugh at the stupidity in the market place. We all go so far as to use a scent free clothes and body wash but even more important, in our experience, was the lack of UV enhancers and dies. I am sure you have all seen the UV black lights and how they make UV brighteners and dies glow. Deer see on a different light wave spectrum than we do and are much more sensitive to them. I remember when that scentlock stuff first came out and I was talking to dad about it. He simply reminded me of how many deer he and I have both had close enough to us to kill them with a knife. Just using the wind and a little common sense about scent control.