HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Off Topic: Something Stinks at Scent-Lock
Old 04-10-2017, 09:31 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

I admit I purchased a bottle of scent lock spray when it first came out. And I think there was even some laundry detergent soap that the claim was, "wash your clothing in this and it will help "hide" your scent." Well almost any soap will do that. Its just a different stink. Since that first purchase, and seeing no real benefit I never purchased more.

Just like camouflage clothing helps hide you from deer and turkeys. To an extent, yes they do. They break up your silhouette I guess. I have a number of outfits that I wear. But then its nice to have play clothing.

But I still laugh about the afternoon I hunted turkey in a green flannel checkered shirt and blue jeans. I had drove out to the farm only to realize, I'd left my camouflage outfit on the chair in the kitchen where I set it. No camouflage, no fancy blind, no nothing. Just me, back against a tree, sitting on the ground. I had four different toms walk right up to my decoys. Only three left on their own. And why do you wear camouflage clothing when your sitting in a camouflage blind? I always felt shadows and movement were the key to stealth.

Many companies hang their hats on "words." For instance, does it "protect" your rifle or "help protect" your rifle. There are lawyers that make a living looking for "Words." Well this company claimed this or that but read the sentence again like this ... words!

My Dad always told me if a company claims something that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. All they are looking for a someone that really wants to believe their claims.

What would be interesting to know is, how many of us have used Scent Lok or a similar product thinking it was going to help?