HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How often do you actually call in a coyote?
Old 03-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by woodenb14
On average probably 1 out of 6 sets. Of course there are days ya call 10 spots n call in zero, and then days you go four for four. If Hunting with snow and by moonlight, I would say your odds double
Pretty much the same here too. Some days are better than others. It's a volume game - call a lot of sets in a day, get a lot of chances to have one come in.

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I should have pointed out that you do not spend time calling where the coyotes are not.
This is critical. I locate the night before, or before walking out into a set if night hunting. If coyotes aren't in the area and aren't responding to locators, don't waste your time. It doesn't mean they are not there if they don't respond, but if you can find spots where they DO respond, your odds of getting something on a string go up dramatically.

Deer hunting is about having permission on ONE (or a few) great pieces of ground. Coyote hunting is about having permission on as many spots as possible to give you an opportunity to hunt where the coyotes are, when the coyotes are there. Which is really to say - COYOTES CAN BE AND OCCASIONALLY ARE EVERYWHERE, whereas big bucks are not. It's a very different game.