HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First hunt, what do I need?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 10:10 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

My boots cost about the same as all my other clothes combined, my feet are important to me. Cabalas has a made for Cabalas Meindle hunting boot that is good. Good fit and comfort is more important than brand IMO, Gortex is a plus.

Rain gear is a plus, but gets way hot real quick in the warmer months. I have a large poncho that covers me, my pack and rifle that hangs past my knees. Folds up into an eight inch square maybe two inches thick, rubberized nylon. I wear knee high wool socks, if wool gets wet it doesn't bleed heat like many other materials. If my legs get too hot I can roll the socks down to my boot tops. I carry an extra pair of socks, dual purpose, I can pack other stuff inside the socks to reduce noise.

Loose clothing works best.

Easy to get turned around in the forest, even small patches of woods. I always have two compasses with me, one good one and one cheapy as a backup. Believe me no matter how good you are, sooner or later you are going to have to walk miles farther than necessary if you don't have a compass with you. Most lessons I learned the hard way. A fog rolls in, it gets dark or you just fail to pay attention, disorientation gets most everybody sooner or later.