HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First hunt, what do I need?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 04:42 PM
paveglass
Spike

Great advice above. If you live in North Idaho, you want to be prepared for harsh weather, and in some cases, snow. The good news is that hunting clothing is among the best outdoor wear on the market today. You will need to stay 1) dry, and 2) warm. Some will build numerous layers to enable them to adjust in small steps to changing temperatures. I tend to dress in really, two layers. The first is what I would want to have on for hiking in to my hunting spot, hunting on the move or anytime I am physically active, counting on my physical activity to keep me warm, a soft-shell style of pants and jacket work well. The second layer is what I put on when conditions are bad or when I get to a spot and have to sit quietly for long periods of time without getting cold. For this I use fleece-lined, waterproof, quiet-knap outerwear. The camouflage pattern matters less than you might think...as mentioned above, animals see movement, not color. Find something that fits you well, is not too tight, and has the qualities that will serve you well during your hunt.

Find some insulated and waterproof boots that are not too heavy to walk in but provide adequate support for the terrain you will be working. These are what I use: http://www.basspro.com/Irish-Setter-...4011108514614/ There are many options like this and fit matters most. If in doubt, round up a half-size as you will probably wear thicker socks.

In your pocket (not in your pack...always on your person) you should always have the ability to start a fire, and have a compass and map to get home if you need to. Whatever your choices and there are several, be sure to practice with them.

I would look for a waterproof, quiet, and warm outer layer, parka and pants. Under that you can find a mid-weight jacket and non-cotton pants, that will fit under the outer layer. Next to the skin a polyester, wool, or silk underlayer is useful. Avoid cotton for everything except possibly your bandana. There are high quality hunting garments specifically cut to fit women.

Your backpack should be sized to carry your heavy layer, hunting gear, and survival gear...but be careful not to make it too big as you will probably wear it as you hunt.

I have some very nice and expensive knives but I normally carry a Russell Green River "Hunter" knife that you can buy for about $20. It is a pattern and style that dates to the 1800s and it works great, is easy to sharpen and cheap to replace. You can find them and a sheath to fit on eBay.

Assuming you are rifle hunting, a 30-06 (as mentioned above) is an excellent choice and will take any North American game. If you want a little less kick, a .308 is an excellent choice and is what I hunt with myself, never feeling under-gunned in my hunting experience. For a lower cost rifle option, I might suggest a Ruger American Rifle as an affordable option in .308 (I have the compact model). A good quality 3x9 scope with a 40mm objective lens would serve you well. Nikon makes a nice scope at an affordable price in the ProStaff. These are lower cost but get-the job-done suggestions and you can move up from there.

Good luck. Going with someone who knows what they are doing is helpful in case you get an animal on your first hunt.

Last edited by paveglass; 03-23-2017 at 04:55 PM.