HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - the best place to hunt for Squirrels
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

No, he doesn't have an infestation! He lives in an urban area where hunting cannot occur, additionally, people have bird feeders out and since squirrels are rodents they breed like rodents and have lots of young each year. The reason he has so many squirrels is because there is enough feed available to take care of them because of bird feeders. If there was not so much food the squirrels would disperse to other areas. It is just one more example of mans interference in nature. These kinds of populations rarely happen in the real wild where the amount of food available is a control of the population of squirrels. I feed birds as do many people in my neighborhood and have experienced an overpopulation of squirrels in the neighborhood. Knowing I am part of the problem instead of complaining about the squirrels I live trapped and relocated about 40 squirrels in two years and stopped when the number of them was reasonable for the size of our neighborhood. When people provide food for wildlife they have no control over which wildlife will be taking advantage of that food and they should know that they are the problem, not the wildlife, if they create an over population problem, they should be part of the solution.