HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - knight 500 muzzleloader
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 04:51 AM
Grouse45
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzlestuffer
Is this the same gun ?
Honestly not that familiar with the new knight 500. But what i had was a 1/18 twist Bull barrel supposedly right along the same lines as the 500. I should also mention the Super Disc i was comparing it to had the RPJ bolt and a Lehigh 17/4 bare primer breech plug with removable vent. And i also only compared sabots, no full bore shooting by me. In my opinion 1/18 twist is not good for any sabots on the market today, but it works ok.

You can buy a Super Disc for $200.00 to $300.00 bucks. Upgrade the bolt and breech plug for less then $200.00. So basicaly for $500.00 to $600.00 bucks you got a great ML and youll have it for a lifetime. Whats a Knight 500 cost?? Close to $2000.00 is what i heard?? You can confirm that.

You could even buy a Disc Extreme or an Elite used and have a guy like Bestil rebarrel it and have a fully head spaced breech plug and a smokeless rated plug and barrel for no more then $1000.00. And have a 1/18 or 1/20 twist whatever you prefer.

The Ultimate is also a great platform to start with. I saw one for sale the other day for $650.00 used. Have it rebarreled and a good smokeless rated plug head spaced for it and youll have a better rifle then the Knight 500 for far less money. The standard ultimate is just old school technology. Dirty pellets and a non user friendly breech plug.

And to be honest, a Knight Mountaineer makes a great bench shooting rifle. Im not a fan of them, but if i was a bench shooter i would for sure. Maybe/probably as good or better then most. Just have the breech plug drilled out for a ventliner or have a Lukes plug installed properly head spaced and youll have all you need.