HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Going hog hunting for the first time
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 10:23 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

It's really about what they are feeding on Rock. If they are in good eating territory with higher fat contents like acorns and nuts along with high protein then you will have some really fine table fare hogs. Hogs feeding really heavy on beans and and such are really good as well. Fatter the hog, the better the flavor. I don't mean "bigger" in that but I'm sure you know what I am talking about. As far as cutting one up, it's pretty much the same as domestic but your spare ribs and bacon cuts will be dependent again on food sources. 4 of the hogs I got down in Texas this past week and weekend seriously surprised me with some REALLY good fat on them. Even had good bacon slabs which is VERY rare on Texas hogs! Sorry Hunters Feeding The Hungry program, them girls are now cut up and being smoked for bacon and hams as we speak! I don't think they will complain much. All in total we brought back a little over 240 pounds cut, ground, and wrapped for them and we kept around 200 for ourselves this trip. We were all running a bit low on hog meat Pappy had a blast (literally) but DAMN I'm tired! My git up and go got up and WENT!

OT and Rock, if you need a sausage recipe, just yell... I have around 30 tried and true from Sage to Maple. And OT, a few of them would make Jimmy Dean get up and slap his momma for ever telling him he had a good sausage recipe