HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - You have to start somewhere....
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Grouse45
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
Grouse, I'd like you to know that a separate organization started and created the shoot. It has nothing to do with the NMLRA.

I'd also like you know, and you can easily verify, I had NOTHING in any way or part in creating it or it's rules. Also, UF Inc. had NOTHING, in any way or part creating it, or it's rules, nor does it sponsor it. I'm not really sure if UF Inc. even knows this shoot exists.

Someone shot the messenger, again. All I can say is that it is pathetic when an organization wants to start something for the very first time, and others have to tear it apart. THAT, is the main reason more people aren't willing to learn.

I'm pretty sure of this though, people on the internet and their feelings about what is, or is not a custom built muzzleloader, DO NOT run the shoot, nor do they involve themselves in any shoots. They DO NOT get to decide an organizations rules, no matter how much they whine and cry about it. It would be like someone inviting you to dinner, then you tear them apart for serving pork instead of chicken. Its their house, their rules. You can have chicken when they come to YOUR house.

There is always some kind of conflict in any shooting sport. However those who have a passion for shooting and learning, abide by the rules of others or, they make a case for themselves for a change. If they can't get changed what they'd like to change, they still shoot anyway.

What EVERYONE should be doing is to support ANY person, place, or thing that wants to gather shooters together. Nothing starts out perfect for anyone starting something new, and things always end up changing for future events. Its something learned. No reason to tear something apart just because it doesn't fit someone's criteria.

Here's something I think we should all be able to agree on, and that's that some Organization, rather it be the NMLRA or the NRA, needs to come up with a defined definition of what is a Custom rifle and what is a Production rifle. It'll be argued over the internet like liberals on FB, Twitter, or any of the other social media sites, including sporting forums. Its going to take an organization like the NMLRA or NRA to make new rules concerning modern inline rifles.

My take and only my opinion..........

Please leave marketing out.......

Custom rifles IMO are rifles that are built to the purchaser/owner's individual specifications. The can include any number of different actions, different barrel manufacturers, barrel lengths, numerous stock configurations and trigger types. If a person removes a .50cal barrel from an action and installs a .45cal barrel, its customized. They are basically a "one of a kind" type build. Manufacturers of these rifles may or may not have a manufacturers FFL.

As far as production rifles, I think there's actually two different kinds.

First IMO, mass produced rifles. Mass produced rifles include but are not limited to, CVA, T/C, Traditions, Knight etc. Yes they have different models, but they are still mass produced. The manufacturers of these rifles HAVE a manufacturing FFL.

Second, there are limited production rifles. Limited production rifles are rifles that are built on a single action, use a single barrel manufacturer, have a set barrel length, a standard trigger and limited stock choice (per model). These manufacturers also have a manufacturing FFL. Examples of these rifles could be NULA, Ultimate, Knight 500 and Cooper, etc.

Now please understand... I'm not saying anything I posted concerning custom or production rifles is right or wrong. Its only my opinion. Again, some organization needs to make the rules, then everyone can understand the rules and abides by them.
Like i said the rules need tweaked in my opinion. I had Bestil take a Knight barrel off a Knight Elite and add a brux barrel. To me thats not a production ML now.

As far as a group of guys getting together and having a contest/shoot is awesome. But threads like this dont help at all. Im not sure who deleted what, but actually it should of all been deleted. Theres no reference at all were the shoot is or whos running it. None of that was clear until GM54 started posting information after i asked for some. And theres a big difference between a bunch of guys getting together and having fun and shooting, versus a competition in which you take seriously yourself.