HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ambushing
Thread: Ambushing
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 AM
shemp
Spike

1) if you can stalk/sneak up on a turkey in most of the conditions I've encountered, and do it consistently to within 30 yards, you are a better woodsman than I'll ever hope to be. Congrats on dusting the birds!

2) Gotta be careful doing that on some of the public land I hunt...could get dangerous crawling around and yelping

3) Setting up in a travel lane is ethical as all get out...depending on the terrain it doesn't always mean the birds will pass in close range BUT it makes it a far cry easier to call them 30 yards out of their way than to turn them around or pull them 1/2 mile in...especially Osceolas who come in 45 minutes after their last gobble, and pop out of the palmettos 180degrees from where you think they're coming.

4) I set up in a travel lane saturday (opening day); had good evidence on the camera they were there about 1.5 hrs after sunrise. Heard 6 on the roost, two loud ones together and closest (250 yards). I didn't make a peep till the hens by me got going. Had toms gobbling at me until about 30 minutes till I figured they'd be there, then BOOM! somebody got in between us and ended my chance at those birds...turns out I should have gone after them a bit, but I got cutoff by somebody else in the birds travel lane. Turns out sitting on the sidewalk waiting isn't always super easy, and IMHO it sure ain't cheating