HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - "Factory Second" bullets from Midway?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

I dug out a box of each type and each failure code I have on hand right now, not counting those loaded into rounds, of course. I have a lot more of these in inventory, but these represent the different calibers and failure codes I have on hand. (Kinda realized I don't have any in 6, 6.5, or 6.8mm, which is weird - and I have apparently ran out of the factory second 325grn FTX 45cal bullet).

I included the 3 boxes I bought from Midway even though two are duplicates - you can see they're in the same boxes, but Midway sticks their own label over the top, which I peeled off and stuck to the top of the boxes.

20cal 40grn V-max - Set up
22cal 55grn V-max - Set up
22cal 75grn A-max - Set up & Appearance
7mm 154grn Interlock - Set up
7mm 162grn ELD-M - Appearance
7mm 162grn ELD-X - Appearance
7mm 175grn ELD-X - Appearance
30cal 165grn Interlock - Appearance
30cal 200grn ELD-X - Bad noses
30cal 200grn ELD-X - Won't group/shoot
33cal 200grn SST - Set up
45cal 500grn DGS - Appearance

I don't have a box with the "damaged tips" code right now, but the ones I bought in the past were Interlocks & HPBT's which were really fubar'd. Since the code is different, I opened up the "bad noses" boxes this morning to see what the difference might be, and as far as my eye can tell, it just means the tips are the wrong color, not sure whether that means they forgot to add the heat resistant component to the polymer or something else? The original Marketing materials all showed translucent tips, but all of my current manufacture ELD's are all opaque. Can't imagine they would have pitched all of the initial production runs just because they changed to opaque. ALTHOUGH - I could speculate they did make that change on purpose, since you can see little air bubbles OF DIFFERENT SIZES in the original translucent ELD's, so maybe they made them solid to stop guys like me from questioning how much that little bubble irregularity makes for down range accuracy. Can't see it, can't question it.

On the left is a factory first, new production 200grn ELD, with an opaque tip. On the right, you see the Factory Second 200grn ELD with the translucent tip. If you can see the difference in the two, lemme know what it is!