HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Boo-Boo Finds Two!
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Well the season ended Feb. 10. Fortunately I had to use my trackers on only one of my deer ... a nice sized doe. It was a fairly long shot for a woods shot .... about 120 yards through the pines, and raining to boot. I just never could start on a blood trail. Boo-Boo found it in about 4 minutes. I had started my search at least 30 yards from where it was standing. The final tally for Boo-Boo was 5 deer tracked and 5 deer found. Only one was what I'd call a challenge. For Ellie Mae, she recovered well enough for me to use her on 2 tracks that were in rather flat, clear locations. One was simple, one was a tuffy! A fellow hunter had shot what turned out to be a button buck around 4:30 p.m. He and 3 others searched for it for about 2 hours with no success. They gave up about an hour after dark. I was yet confident enough in Ellie's condition to use her in the dark. It was around 45F and raining hard at sunset as the cold front approached. Temps were going to be well below freezing by dawn. Next morning around 9:00 a.m. I took Ellie to search. It was tough for her to get a good start, but she found and stayed on the watered out blood trail as good as one could imaging. She found him. Took her about 15 minutes. I was extremely proud of her and glad she was able to work the trail. She has continued to improve. i am still being very careful with her as she strengthens. The shot on that button was poorly placed and the little guy ended up going about 1/3 mile according to my GPS unit. He gave up the ghost in a brush pile that he had laid down in. Critters had not found it and the cold weather kept the meat OK. So .... all goes well, Lord willing, I and the pooches will be at it again come Oct. 15.