HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tradition Woodsman Hawken
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 10:22 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Tradition Woodsman Hawken

I have owned this rifle for years. But since the acquisition of the custom flintlocks, my mass produced model have went by the way side so to say. Well today was beautiful outside. Fresh snow, 35 degrees, sunny, not too windy, and I wanted to shoot. So I looked the gun rack over and spotted the Traditions Woodsman Hawken Flintlock with the 1-48 twist in .50 caliber. I purchased this rifle to match the percussion model of the same rifle. Except the percussion has a 1-66 twist. I always knew the rifles were both good shooters. So I looked them up for loads on my gun directory and this one likes 85 grains of 2f black powder. So off I went.

I set the target out at 34 yards (the distance varies on my range depending on how far and were I set the shooting table.) and then got the rifle ready.

The notes for the rifles said hold dead center under the bull for in bull hits. So that is what I did. While the hits were technically in the bull I wanted them higher. I liked the group mind you but just an inch or more up. So with handy Swiss army knife in hand, we adjusted the sights.

While the height was fine, why they suddenly moved slightly right I do not know. Then an important phone call came in and kind of ended my day on the range.

Over all this rifle impresses me. The lock is very fast. I use an agate in the jaws of the lock and never had a misfire or hang fire. All ignition was fast and sure. Just a real nice rifle to shoot.