HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too Nice Not to shoot!
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 10:53 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default Too Nice Not to shoot!

Today it was in the 50's again. This is just crazy for February here. I mean to sit outside without a jacket and shoot, in February. I have seen it when it was -30 degrees out this time of year.

So today I got the Lyman Great Plains HUNTER flintlock out. Not to be confused with my Great Plains Rifle. The Hunter has a 1-32 twist while the Plains Rifle is 1-60.

I usually just plink round ball out of it but wanted to shoot some sabots. I did swab between shots. I was shooting 90 grains of Schuetzen 2f black powder and Goex 4f as the priming powder. The reason I shot 90 ... that is what the measure was set at. Not real reason.

I started with some 300 grain Hornady XTP's and they loaded beautiful. I was using the short Harvester black sabots. Again, swabbing between the two shots. And why ... again no idea changed over the 240 grain, same sabots. Now why the 300 grain shot higher then the 240 grain I would guess barrel harmonics or something like that. But they did. The 240 grain grouped pretty good actually. But as the gun got dirty over the course of shooting the group moved a little. And there was a high right over the plate shot. That was a tick.... boom. In fact it was such a delay I was actually just starting to shift, lifting my head when it went off.

Then I got bored with paper so I put sticks out, changed over to round ball and 60 grains of Schuetzen 2f and shot at the sticks. It still amazes me how accurate this rifle is with round ball.

Over all a good day outside.