HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Ice Auger
Thread: New Ice Auger
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 02:50 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Default New Ice Auger

Being an avid ice fisherman I have acquired more than my share of equipment over the years. I like to fish for perch and normally use a fin bor 4 1/2" hand auger for that. I have an old Mora 5" which needs new blades and I don't use it anymore. When I fish for blue gills, sunnies and crappie I need the bigger hole and have a gas powered 6" tanaka powered nils master gas auger. Lots of people have migrated over to electric so I bought a Dewalt DCD995 cordless brushless drill kit with two 4.0 AH batteries and charger. I had a custom machined 16" adapter made that screws directly into the Dewalt chuck spindle and accepts a fin bor auger. I bought a new 6" fin bor and can now use that or my 4 1/2" on the set up. I tried it out yesterday and cut at least thirty 6" holes through well over a foot of solid ice. At the end of the day I still had full charge indicated on the battery. This thing cuts like a champ and is far lighter, quieter and easier to use than that gas auger. There is a side handle that comes with the drill to help offset the torque. No more gas and oil to deal with.