HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunting Legal Question??
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 06:18 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Alabama - Gobblers only. 5/season limit. 1/day bag limit. Spring season runs Mar. 15 through April 30. Some northern counties have a fall season ... usually relatively short. Decoys are allowed in spring season but not fall seasons. Firearms allowed are shotgun and pistol I(smokeless or black powder).

Shotguns limited to 10 ga. or smaller with shot no smaller than #2. Scopes are allowed on shotguns.

Pistols must be 40 cal.or larger, mushrooming ammunition and no scopes allowed on pistols.

No "laser" sights that project a dot forward. No electronic calls. No loose bait in sight line and must be 100 yards from hunting position.

Hours 30 min. before and 30 min. after sunrise and sunset times.

Hunting turkey with dogs not is not allowed.

I may have missed something, but I think that's it as far as regulations.

More than you asked for ..... Everyone that I hunt turkeys with uses a shotgun with either a full or an ultra full "turkey" choke , and a magnum shot-shells of various lengths, makes and shot loads. By far the 12 ga. is the bore of choice among my buds and pretty much split 50/50 between pump action and auto loaders. Most chokes being used by me and my buds are .660 and .670. Most popular shot shell among the group I hunt with is the 3" "turkey load" with either #6 or #4 lead shot. Some folks I hunt with use heavily loaded 3 1/2" shells, including the shoulder busting , $8.00/each "Rhino" shot shells that I personally think was developed by a masochist. I have tried these at the range and they do reach out there, group great out of my set up, but are simply too punishing and expensive to make sense to me.