HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Patch question
Thread: Patch question
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Starting out, I think most of us used pre cut patches. Then as we got more into the sport we began to experiment and try different things. I personally cut my patch at the muzzle. That way I always get a perfect centered patch. Also its cheaper, and if you get pre lubed, pre cut patches, and your not an avid shooter, they can and will go sour on you sometimes. I can remember when I had pre cut lubed patches stored in a Tupperware bowl one time. I finally wanted them, opened the bowl and about dropped over from the stink.

Also pre cut, pre lubed patches begin to basically decompose with time. And if they get old you get more tearing and over char when you load and shoot them. Old patches will blow apart when you shoot them.

When I load I start with clean and unlubed 100% cotton pillow tick. A simple cloth purchased at Wal Mart in bulk. Right before shooting I can add the lube of my choice and then load patch and ball. Everything if fresh and the cloth is nice and strong.

Good luck.
Hate to burst your bubble Cayugad but I disagree. I have pre-lubed patches in various tins, bags, tubs, etc. that I have no problems with depending on what they were lubed with. I have probably 500 patches factory pre-cut and pre-lubed with Bore butter and while I'll admit they're dried out some, they only need a little fresh lube rubbed on and they're good to go and I've never had any problems with them burning through if I freshen them up.

Why?? Because it's vegetable based and doesn't rot and stink like animal fat based lubes can and will do. It gets dry and that's about it. It DOES NOT rot the patch like animal based lubes or homemade concoctions of catpi$$ and Murphy's oil soap and whatever else do.

The only problem I've ever had with Bore butter other than drying out over time is that it gets stiff when it's cold. I've tried (and have several tubs) of TOW's mink oil and I'm not impressed with it at all. Never did get consistent groups with that stuff...might be good for greasing leather but I think it sucks as a patch lube.

That said, there are some here who use spit (your own saliva) patches and swear by that. There are some who use a petroleum based sprays like liquid wrench and have good results. Some use olive oil and bee's wax or straight olive oil while others use some concoction of their own. I can remember one forum member saying he used Sno-Seal brand leather treatment for years with good results. I say to each his own.... but I'm also saying that the OP shouldn't take everything he reads on these forums as gospel.

coalforge...

My advice to you as a new black powder shooter is to do some shooting whenever you have time and find what works best for you. Don't be afraid to experiment!! When I was a 16 year old kid with his first ML rifle, I shot for several years with nothing more than Crisco for a lube and it worked fine... but it's not something you want to store pre-lubed patches with as it will dry out.

Recently, I've tried Frontier's Anti-Rust and Patch Lube and like it a lot. Time will tell, I have probably 100 square cut patches (no... patches don't have to be round and you don''t have to cut them at the muzzle) pre-lubed with it and we'll see how it is the next time I shoot again.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 02-04-2017 at 02:21 PM.