HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Interested in the art of taxidermy
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

We are going to have to agree to disagree. My concern is with the customer who gets substandard work and is stuck with it and not the person who wants to be a taxidermist with the least amount of expense and effort in order to learn the art. When a trophy of a lifetime is reduced to a sick joke, it is the customer who comes up short. There are some people who have no artistic talent and they should be at a place that will tell them they are barking up the wrong tree. No video will do that. Would you want to take your pet to a vet who learned by way of video instructions instead of at the hands of experienced veterinarians, or have your home build by a carpenter who learned via video instead of as an apprentice to experienced carpenters? Immediate feed back and correction is important. I could look at video instructions to be a taxidermist from now until the day I die and I would never have the skills to be taxidermist. I know what animals are supposed to look like, but I do not possess the artistic talent to mount and paint an animal or bird or fish to look life like. Wanting to do something does not mean a person is capable of doing it. There are far too many states that require no exhibition of talent before allowing a person to hang out a sign and say they are a taxidermist.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-21-2017 at 03:43 PM.