HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 12 Guage Slug Gun Suppressor
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Starting to sound like Valentine...

Welcome to the forum John!

Guys who haven't ever used a suppressor don't tend to appreciate the advantage of universal hearing protection. The convenience of being protected without being inhibited in the hunting field is a huge advantage in itself, but it applies everywhere else too. Many, or even MOST, firearms aren't quite quiet enough when suppressed to use no other protection, but it's a big advantage to use cheap, low level passive attenuation plugs or muffs alone with a suppressor, as it covers everyone around you, and allows casual conversation.

Especially important when taking younger kids along to shoot, which I'm sure even the eldest generation here would support as a worthwhile endeavor.

A thought - however - if you're following the Hearing Protection Act at all, you may want to simply wait it out. If it passes, you'd get a refund on your can if purchased now, but your overall purchase price might be very different. I envision the price of the can will go up dramatically as soon as it passes, but after production catches up, I expect they'll be considerably cheaper than they are today. There also will not be any requirement for Form 1 - you'll be able to produce your own suppressor just as you can produce your own rifle. That stabilization might take a couple years, so maybe having it in hand today might be worth the few hundred bucks in difference, but that'd be up to you. I bought cans before the HPA was a twinkle in an eye, I have two more in jail right now waiting for their paperwork, but I sure plan to thread and can everything I own if/when the Hearing Protection Act passes.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 01-19-2017 at 09:05 AM.