HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Greenswamp wma hunters
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2017, 03:16 AM
FlaBoy18
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
It had rained last night so this morning everything was wet and water was noisy dropping off the trees. At about 630-645 I heard some faint sounds of brush moving but I didn't give it much thought since hogs are abundant in my spot. Then legal shooting hours started at 6:51 and a couple minutes later I heard a twig snap over my right shoulder in this little strand of cypress. I kept looking but never saw anything. Then I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and there's a deer standing 25 yards from me to my right (I'm right handed btw). The fog was so thick that I couldn't tell it was a buck even that close. Finally he moved just right I caught a glimpse of antler but thought he was pretty small. He then turned and started walking out in front of me and when he turned so did I do that I could get a look through the scope. But with all the fog all I could see was he had atleast one point on each beam and he looked atleast 10" because the beams hooked outward (he never looked right at me). I decided I would take him and I shot a few ribs back as he was walking 30 yards from me and it exited in front of his right shoulder. He piled up 50yards away out of sight. I hunted another hour since it was early and finally decided it was time to get a look at him. He was laying in some palmettos and all I could see was a big main beam with points and was in shock. Definitely didn't expect him to be as big as he was but I was definitely blessed.
Great story and congrats again! Seems them wiley bucks always show up on ur opposite shootin hand.